Monday, November 10, 2008

Odds and Ends

This week was uneventful as we are falling into a routine. However, we enjoyed some German adventures. My friend Nikki had heard that you can go to local farms and buy fresh milk and was interested in trying it out. I had heard that there was a dairy in my village. Since we didn't know where it was, we asked at the grocery store. Come to find out the dairy in practically in the middle of town. (I knew I smelled it.) It took 5 minutes to walk there. When we got there I thought to myself....this stuff is unpasturized........We bought some anyway and we enjoyed super-whole milk. It was cheaper than buying it at the grocery store and the kids LOVED it.

Also, we started Sadie in German preschool. Since our friends live at least a 20 minute drive from our house, Sadie has been bored. It has been difficult to keep her entertained, so I looked into the local kindergarten, which is a 5 minute walk from our house. It costs 80 Euro a month (around 110 dollars) for 5 days a week, 7:30-1pm, then 2pm to 4:30. Crazy cheap! They don't mind if you don't come every day and pick up and drop off when you want. I can't imagine using it for all of those hours, but plan on attending like a normal preschool (mornings 3 days a week) and then using it when I need a babysitter.

The first day was a little rough, because Sadie was so shy. I stayed the entire time with her (about 3 hours). Finally, at the end of morning, Sadie hit it off with another American girl. She told me that I could go home and leave her there.

This morning Sadie woke up enthusiastic about her day. She dressed herself, packed her snack and got ready to leave. I had planned on taking her at 9am, but she was ready at 8am. With her coat and backpack on she informed me that, "I am tired of being at home. I am bored. There is nothing to do here." I took the hint and we left. The day was a success, except she was a little bothered by having to drink all of her sparkling water and the fruit tea, which Sadie calls the yucky juice. I was a little nervous, because I observed the teacher strongly encouraging the kids to clean the plates and empty their cups. Sadie and I practiced the German phrase for "only a little bit of water please" I don't think she will remember it though.

We are glad that she is transitioning well.

4 comments:

Christie said...

Wow, what an experience for Sadie to go to a German school. How fun for you all to got to a dairy... I don't know that I would drink that milk. Did they at least cool it?

jbel said...

cute Sadie ... I can just picture her all dolled up for school in some great shoes!!!

taylia said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly they start to adjust...much harder as an adult...at least in our case over here!!! Glad to hear you are doing well. T

Brenda said...

Oh, I'm so glad that Sadie is doing better in school! It's so hard when they don't like it. That is amazingly cheap and what a nice option to be able to take her and pick her up whenever!

About Us

Bechhofen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Blog Archive