Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dresden Day 1

We took a trip back to former East German city of Dresden. I served there as a missionary 14 years ago! I really enjoyed walking down memory lane and showing Greg and the kids my old stomping grounds.
The famous Madonna painted by Raphael. I never knew these angels were part of a bigger picture.

I never went to this museum when I served here. I didn't know what I was missing. He didn't get to spend as much time as we wanted to, because Taylor was very naughty, but we were happy to see this famous piece.





Russian Orthodox Church, where my piano teacher's father was a priest. She lived in Dresden before and during WWII. She was there the night Dresden was bombed. Unfortunately, the Church is being advertized for rent as office space.

The Altstadt, where most of the historical buildings have been restored after the bombing in 1945. Most of the city was destroyed that night. To the right is Procession of Dukes and straight ahead is the Fraunkirche (Church of the lady.)

The Augustusbruecke, which spans the Elbe. I lived on the other side of the river, near the church steeple.


In the city center there are several Museums including the Armoury. We got to see all the old suits on Armour from the middle ages. This exhibit was one of the kids favorites, mine too.





The Zwinger, where all of the Museums are located. We let the kids play in the courtyard in the snow.




More of the Zwinger











In front of the Semperoper, the opera house. We found out later that there was a big ball that night. They were setting up for it earlier that day and the opera house, itself was closed. We didn't get to see the inside.
East German art, a remnant from communist times.


The Opera house





The Frauenkirche was destroyed in the bombing of the city. It lay in rumble for 40 years, until after the unification. They started rebuilding the church in 1995 and finished in 2005. The Dresdeners are very proud of this building as it is a symbol of their city.


After a long morning of site seeing, Micah suggested that we see the rest of the city in a "car tour." We agreed. We drove around and I got to tell mission stories. We looked for my old apartment, and I think we found it. The city has changed so much. We came home and watched movies for the rest of the evening........











3 comments:

Christie said...

wow, this place is unreal. I can't believe the architecture, beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Jenni said...

I LOVE that Raphael!! Those angels are so awesome, I love that they are so bored! Raphael was a funny guy!!

Deb said...

deja vu, seeing the armor exhibit. for a minute, i wondered if i'd been to dresden and forgotten, but there is a very similar exhibit at the tower of london, if i remember right. oh, we are going to have to come visit you!

About Us

Bechhofen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Blog Archive