Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Playing Army Guy

For the last two weeks I've been in Hohenfels, Germany doing Field Training with the 212th Combat Support Hospital (CSH). This is the same idea as the old M.A.S.H. (Mobile Army Support Hospital), but bigger. We practice setting up the hospital and running through pretend mass casualty scenarios and take care of real patients as needed.
Succinctly, I'm on a really big campout.
I'll admit that the theme song of M.A.S.H kept popping in my head every time I walked around the CSH and saw helicopters flying around.
These are the Male Officer Barracks that I stayed in. It was re-named "The Plague Barracks" due to the Type A Influenza virus that swept through... as if the orchestral snoring of 20 grown men with borderline sleep apnea wasn't enough.
These are the ICU and ER tents

And my favorite, of course, the Operating Room with two beds. This is where I spent my time.
These two locations are noteworthy.
First, the Male Latrine. Notice the fantastic tile accentuating multiple shower heads reminiscent of WWII Germany. If you look closely, you'll see accent colors on the floors and corners. I'm not sure exactly what color they are, so I'll just call them the color.... petri dish.
Secondly, the internet cafe. This is the exact room where I'm sitting right now. No frills needed to attract soldiers eager to email... or blog... whatever your fancy.

Oh, yes. It snowed.
The first photo is from the 212th CSH hospital tents looking down to the barracks.
The second photo is of me smiling.
Why not.

4 comments:

Jen said...

That's quite a setup for a mobile unit. The OR is kinda fascinating. The shower area . . . not as much. Did you guys build medical snowmen?

jbel said...

Greg smiling looks so much like Micah, or the other way around!

don't know when Drew deploys as of yet. we r supposed 2 get 2 months notice, but since departure guy who Drew takes over 4 in Iraq already has his date, we r sure we rn't gonna get our 2 months notice.
so Drew is prepping as if he'd leave in early Dec.

looks like it's getting cold over there. On the bright side, you got spring well b4 we did in sunny SoCal. I remember that from viewing pics on ur blog.

acl said...

Nice update Greg. Nic the robes were See and Sew pattern B4635. They were really easy.

Christie said...

Oh Dear. That just doesn't look like fun! Well, the one of your smiling looks fun, but thats it. I'll have to show this to Brent.

About Us

Bechhofen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Blog Archive