Sunday, April 18, 2010

Trying to get home


Seeing Europe one park at a time. That is the Mediterranean in the background.

It was a little chilly when we visited the beach. But for two former Washingtonians....we felt at home. The beach was empty, which was also nice. The kids had a great time, digging, looking for shells and jumping in the water.

A lunch break at the park. Sadie is wearing her new Flamenco dress, which I referred to as a "dress-up," or "her Halloween costume." She corrected me by saying, "oh no Mom, I plan on wearing my new dress to church."

Mid-way through our vacation we started catching wind of volcano ash, or at least overheard conversations about it. While at the train station buying tickets for Barcelona, Greg overheard a group of Germans trying to get home. I noticed a British couple complaining about their canceled flights. It was Thursday and our flight back home was to leave on Sunday.....surely things would clear out by then?

Nope..

Ryan air has been agressive at canceling flights ahead of time, which I am grateful for. It would have been horrible to be stuck at the airport, especially since Ryan air airports are in the middle of nowhere. We even had a couple of days notice that we needed to find a place to stay and a way home. We re-booked another flight for Tuesday, hoping things would clear up. Our Hotel has been very flexible and the let us stay in the same room for an extra two days, so we didn't have to move. They even did our laundry for us!

But....we just found out, that Ryan air would not be flying out until Thursday. So plan C.

We are hoping to take a train to Paris. From there, we will need to take a taxi to the main train station. At which point we will board a quick train to Saarbruecken, transfer to a train to Homburg and then board a bus to Bechhofen.

We would leave Monday night at 10pm and arrive home Tuesday evening.

We are going to try for a sleeper train to make the overnight train ride more pleasant.

Also......I won't have to worry about how much our luggage weighs. I think that I will go and buy some Spanish pottery. hmmmm....should I go with the red serving bowls, or the flower patterned pitcher?

3 comments:

Jen said...

Flower pitcher!! And then post a picture.

I wish *I* was going on a train to Paris. Getting stuck isn't the best thing, but also how nice you got to extend your vacation (and that someone else did your laundry). I hope it all goes well Tuesday.

Christie said...

Sorry that you had to re route sounds like an adventure none the less. I love the Dress!!!

Julia said...

I was wondering if the volcano had affected you at all. It may be a rough trip home, but at least you will get there! As for the pottery, if we get a vote, I say, go for BOTH!!!

Love the flamenco dress, too.

About Us

Bechhofen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Blog Archive