Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I have had a few bad experiences on flights and couple of decent experiences. Yesterday we had a good experience flying. Not because everything ran smoothly. It didn't, but because my faith in people was restored. I wish I could somehow say thanks to the many strangers who were in our path yesterday who helped us get home in one piece, physically and emotionally.

Since Greg was asked to extend his stay in Italy, and he was on call, we were on our own getting home. Nothing went wrong, but the trip was full of inconvenient little things, that started to wear on us. It started with a train ride, taxi ride, continued with a long wait in the wrong line and quickly cutting into the correct line. The airport was hot, crowded, with no chairs to sit in. The bathroom was to flight of stairs with no elevator. We had to visit the potty twice. We had to take a bus to the plane and then climb a flight of stairs to the plane. We were the last to get on the plane and couldn't sit next to each other. Managing 3 kids, four suitcases, all of our boarding passes and IDs, trying to juggle snacks, drinks, and my bag of tricks, nearly pushed me over the line of insanity if it were not for:

The Italian woman who helped my kids get off the train and carried our luggage down the stairs. the American tourist, while in the wrong line with us, helped us "merge" into the correct one. The Italian woman, who watched my kids, while I went to change Taylor's diaper. She even shared gummy candies with them! The two Italian men who lifted our luggage into the bus. The Boston man who carried our luggage onto the plane. The two American families, who offered to sit with and watch over Micah and Sadie on the plane. The Gentleman who gave up his seat so that I could sit next to Taylor during the flight. As we came down the stairs from the plane, I saw the same Boston man waiting for us. We were the last to deplane and I was struggling with the luggage. Again, he carried my suitcases.

There were no dirty looks, groans of complaint, or rolling of eyes. People were polite, helpful, even though they themselves were tired and hot. Hurray for niceness......We couldn't find our car, and got onto the wrong freeway while driving home, but I didn't care, because my heart was touched my the goodness of others......

The diet coke and doughnut probably helped too.......and napping children....

7 comments:

jbel said...

ah, thank heaven.
i will always remember the kind flight attendant who helped me so much (all the way to baggage claim) when I flew across the country by myself w/ E for the first time (she was 2 months old).
I'm so glad you had great help from strangers as well.
Yay for people who are nice to traveling mothers and kids, sans husbands!

Jen said...

Hooray for niceness and for people looking outside themselves. A special hooray for Mr. Boston for waiting for you. I'm glad it was such a neat experience, and probably a good lesson for us all.

Cami said...

Wow, what a difference from some of your other flights, eh? Glad you made it through.

Corinne said...

That is a very tender story, actually. It would restore my faith in people, too. Because your horrible flight stories are my favorite to tell, so YOU DESERVE A GOOD ONE!!

Deb said...

so glad i read this before my solo trip tomorrow with kids. i'm hoping to find the same generosity.

Deb said...

so glad i read this before my solo trip tomorrow with kids. i'm hoping to find the same generosity.

Deb said...

sorry that was posted twice. i can't seem to type the secret word right -- or notice when i HAVE typed it correctly! :)

About Us

Bechhofen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Blog Archive