We haven’t had a home for six weeks now. Up to this point we have tolerated being displaced pretty well. We have had most everything we need. Being on post has helped. There is a park close by. A library down the road and Micah’s school is within walking distance. Although we found a home and started paying on it today, we can’t move in until our stuff comes. Normally the military provides furniture for temporary use, but they are behind on delivering. Our furniture should come before they make it to us.
Even though we have been comfortable, I am getting anxious to move because we discovered evidence of bed bugs on Sunday. Bed bugs are pretty common here and some people consider it part of the European experience. We have some friends that had a similar experience and they got moved to another hotel in town. Aside from having to deal with restless nights, my major concern is bringing the little guys to our new home. Greg did some research and found that bed bugs spread from place to place on clothes, in suitcases and in furniture. They can’t be transferred from person to person and don’t likely infest clothes that you are currently wearing.
Yesterday I was pretty mad about the whole thing. Today I have calmed down a bit. At this point there isn’t much we can do. Moving to another hotel would make things tricky. Getting Micah to school without a car would be a challenge. Frankly, the other hotel might have the same problem. I am praying that our furniture comes early and we can get out of here. Before we leave, we are going to wash all of our clothes and get rid of our suitcases. Fortunately German washers have a wash cycle with water that is one degree below boiling. That should do the trick? I am hoping.
Makes you want to come and visit doesn’t it?
8 years ago
7 comments:
Wow. WOW. That is NOT fun.
YUCK!! So sorry. I would be mad too. I wish you luck in the not taking them to your house thing. They're pricey little buggers to get rid of (so I hear).
You need plastic! Plastic bags for your stuff. Plastic covers for your matress. It might be a good idea to get extra covers for your regular beds. To keep them from setting up camp in your bed. Shaun said bed bugs can't walk up glass. He suggested putting glass around your bed legs. Your right about the heat for your laundry. Good luck:)
Hooray for nearly boiling water!
ugh!! So sorry! I have no idea how to deal with bed bugs, so I can't give you any good advice.
What a pain to have to leave all your luggage though!
Ewww! I don't even know what to say. That post made me itchy and didn't get me excited about visiting you. Hope you get bug free soon!
Oh no! That is so not cool! I hope you're able to rid yourself of them completely! I can just imagine that was about the last thing you wanted to deal with in the midst of such a big move!
Post a Comment