Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Leipzig






Soon after we arrived to Germany, I received a phone call from my mission president. He and his wife were in town and had planned a mission reunion in the old mission home for all of the European missionaries. What great timing! Although it would require a 5 hour drive, we decided to attend. Leipzig is on the other side of Germany near the Chech border. We got a late start, leaving at 11am and we pulled into the Leipzig around 5pm. We listened to Harry Potter the entire way, stopping only once at McDonald's. The kids were excited to eat fast food again and the German McDonald's experience was quite interesting, a lot classier. There was a nice cafe inside, which made me happy, love that Kuchen.



We found a hotel on the internet, which we discovered was in my old area! We drove right by the apartment I lived in. Things have certainly changed. Since Leipzig was part of the former Eastern block, it has taken it longer to recover from WWII. When I was there, shortly after the fall of communism, the city still had bombed out buildings.

The next day we made it to the city center. There we found all of the attractions, including the Thomas Kirche, Mendelsohns house, Goethe's house.

6 comments:

Christie said...

Wow, how cool that you could be there for this. I bet that city had really changed.

Corinne said...

WHY did I not know you have a blog!! It's so great to see your little family! I bet it was so great to go back to your old area. AWESOME :)

Tracy said...

How fun to go to your mission sites. Chris would totally love to go to Bolivia again. It looks so pretty there. So glad the kids got to eat at McDonald's. That's a necessity!

Mechelle said...

Hey! I always wondered where you had gone off to. Now I know. So how many times have you lived in Germany? I'm glad you and your family are settling in.

jbel said...

so glad you are back online. I was getting worried. I had hoped you were just up to your eyeballs in unpacking after being away from your things for so long! glad that all is well and you had a fun birthday celebration along the way.

Deb said...

very fun. is it weird being in your mission again? with kids and a husband?? :) what a great opportunity to see your mission pres again.

About Us

Bechhofen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Blog Archive