Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Getting to know the neighbors....

Since we moved here I have been on a constant search for German friends. It is harder than you might think. Eventhough we live in Germany, we are surrounded by Americans and the military culture. The Germans have gotten used to not associating a ton with their english speaking neighbors. The Stake discourages it's military members from joining the German ward and if you shop at the BX and commissary, you can avoid Germany altogether.

I have done some things to try to meet people. Sadie is in a German preschool. I try to be visible and friendly by walking to the store and Micah to the bus stop. After the new year I am considering joining the Volks choir in our village. Also, there are some community classes provided in our neighboring town.

Our friends took Christmas treats to their neighbors and another friend got a dog. Those two tricks seemed to produce friendships.

Another thing that works well is slamming into your neighbors car while backing out of your driveway. That works pretty good....... I met the family across the street. I also got to practice some vocabulary like, "insurance claim," "busted rearview mirror," "huge dent."

6 comments:

Jen said...

Oh no! At least you can be positive about it. That really suck, but the presentation of the story did make me giggle a little. Do they sell cakes that say, "Sorry I hit your car"?

Christie said...

Oh no! How did it go? from what you told me about the germans on the airplane I wouldn't want to hit one of their cars! YIPES!

Rachel said...

I'm sorry! I hope that everything got worked out. But you are right... that is one way to meet new people... ;o)

Tracy said...

Well, that's one way to get yourself invited to dinner. Good luck with everything!

Jenni said...

Oh no!! I know that's what everyone's said, but wow that is so not the way you want to get to know your neighbors - hope every thing gets worked out well! And I hope that you are able to join that choir - that sounds so neat!

Fran said...

You have such a cute way of telling bad news. I'm sorry that this wasn't the "best" way to meet people but what can you do? Just laugh!

About Us

Bechhofen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Blog Archive