Friday, February 12, 2010

I have set a little goal for myself: read or listen to all of Jane Austen's novels and then watch the movie or mini-series. Netlibrary.com has been my source for the audiobooks and I have already listened to "Pride and Prejudice" and "Emma." We just finished watching the BBC versions of both. iTunes had those miniseries available for purchase. Next on my list, "Sense and Sensibilty." I am downloading the book today. BBC also made a TV version, but I will have to order that one from amazon.

So far, Greg has not opposed this goal of mine. We watched all 6 hours of Pride and Prejudice together and he even appeared to be enjoying himself . He even asked me to put the show "on pause" while he grabbed a snack.

However, listening to all books might take it's toll. If I pull out my empire waist dresses, speak in a British accent and complain about my "nerves," I might need to put the goal on hold for a while and watch some man flicks.

Micah has an opinion about the whole thing. While listening to "Emma" in the car he declared,"these books you listen to, have NO POINT! Let's try to figure out the point of them. Are aliens landing? Nooooooooo!"

I explained that he has to listen really hard to understand. There is not much action, but there is certainly a lot going on. Maybe some day he will get it. Sadie watched the last bit of Emma with me yesterday and she appeared to enjoy it. yuppp.....I will have a chick flick buddy some day.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Micah's checklist for a good story: Does it have aliens? Yes = good story; no = waste of time. I like that. :)

I love Pride and Prejudice, but I know I'll get kicked out of the Girl Club when I say I struggle to actually read Jane Austen, not just watch her. Listening to the books on tape is a good idea.

Michelle and Taeven Thompson said...

An alian in Emma or P and P? .. hum, that would be a twist, and certainly give one something to point - at. Looks like you have a boy that is alll boy and a girl that is all girl.

Natalie said...

That's a great goal. I was just looking at Emma on my book shelf the other day and it was calling my name. I might have to read it again, it has been many years. I have never seen any of the BBC versions, but the movie versions I like. I will have to try the BBC ones, I've heard they are good.

Jeffy said...

You don't have aliens in YOUR version of Emma?? Hmmm . . .

Although I did see Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters the other day. Maybe he'd like that.

If you must watch a man flick to keep things even, watch Serenity.

Jeffy said...

Sorry, Jeffy is actually Cami!

Christie said...

I LOVED Micahs comment about Emma. LOL!!! No wonder he and Alex got along so well. :-) What a fun goal.

acl said...

Wow looks like you guys are having a busy cold winter. I love the Jane Austen goal - and happy (really) late birthday!Hope you get your france trip eventually....

jbel said...

now that's a good goal

I LOVE Jane Austen. I have only watched the movies though ... never read the books.

Maybe I'll pick up P&P next time I'm at the library with the kids.

About Us

Bechhofen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Blog Archive