8 years ago
Sunday, August 19, 2012
Starting with the end of Summer
Obviously, I haven't been up to date with blogger over the last 6 months. I vowed to keep current over the long lazy summer days. Well, they didn't turn out to be so lazy. With my fear of being bored, came the tendency to over-schedule. Now that things have slowed down a bit, I am going to blog backwards and catch up with all the summer news.
I will start with the events of yesterday. It began, a few weeks ago, when we found a flier on our doorstep announcing our neighborhood yard sale. Since moving, we have assembled a pile of junk, which needs to be removed from our garage. We would like to be able to park at least one car indoors during the coming winter months. Rather than paying the dump to take our stuff, we decided to see if anyone would pay us to have it.
I told the kids, that they could have the money if they helped gather the stuff, set up the tables, label the items with prices and help with the money exchange. They agreed and we decided to try to make this a fun Saturday experience.
On a whim, I made a double batch of chocolate chip cookies. This proved to be the best selling item at our address. After a couple of hours, I returned to the kitchen to make another double batch. Word had spread around the neighborhood and customers came to buy cookies. Some of them removed a few "space fillers" from our garage, but we didn't get rid of most of the stuff. Although, we made $81 dollars in profit (most of it from a queen-sized bed.) It turned out to be a decent lesson in math and working for your money.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List
-
-
10 years ago
-
11 years ago
-
11 years ago
-
12 years ago
-
12 years ago
-
12 years ago
-
13 years ago
-
13 years ago
-
13 years ago
-
14 years ago
-
14 years ago
-
15 years ago
-
16 years ago
-
-
-
-

2 comments:
It sounds like your cookies are worth a lot of money to people. Nicely baked.
I'm glad the yard sale went well, even if you didn't get to clear out your garage. Maybe you could try to Hawaii way and just stick junk on the corner, and 6 hours later it'll be gone.
is that Micah sitting next to Sadie? Is she just on a taller chair? or is it possible that Taylor could be that big? No, it looks just like Micah, but his hair has gotten darker hasn't it?
fun to see you blogging again. my entire blog this year is posts from previous months pictures and activities. i figure I just want to get in up on there ... no matter when that might be.
when do you guys get out, now? does Greg have a civilian contact? we have 3 years left and are already considering our options.
Post a Comment