We are well into the new year and I haven't given an update on myself or the family. My last post was in the Summer and well, a lot has happened. I am not going to try to bring anyone up to date, but will just jump into the present.
I had set some new goals for 2013.
Of course, there are the typical "get in shape" goals that make the list every year. I also plan to read more, and want to magnify my talents in other areas like cooking and playing the organ.....but there is one goal I am excited about: getting re-certified as a teacher.
After having kids, I let my teaching certificate in the State of Utah lapse. Now that the kids are grown a bit, I have decided that I might want to go back and teach part time, eventually, maybe when my kids are in Middle School, or something and I want to be a super secret spy and keep an eye on them, or maybe just to be prepared if my life circumstances change. For some reason, not sure why, I have felt driven to get my teaching certificate current.
Last fall, I started teaching at a private German School called the "Tacoma German Language School." Getting this little weekend job is it's own story. I spied a German mom and the soccer field, talking to her kids in German. I got up the nerve and started a conversation with her. It turns out that she is the principal at this school and offered me a job as a teaching assistant in the 4 and 5 year old classroom. I took the job and signed Sadie up for the older class. She has a friend from Germany who we pick up on the way to school every Saturday. It is our own Saturday girl time, with a built in play date. I didn't take the job for the money, but as a resume builder. It turns out that the Utah department of Education will recognize this time and give me credit towards re-certification: 25 points.
After working there for 6 months, the principal asked me if I would be interested in helping out with the German Summer camp. The money is better, but because my kids are out of school at that time, I would have to enroll them to participate in the camp. Add up the tuition and throw in a tank of gas, I would break even. It would be a lot of work too, 5 hours a day, for 6 days the last week of July. I was ready to to decline on the offer. Until the Utah Department of Education responded with another 25 hours. I am in and so are my kids. They are not as thrilled.....
Next, I searched the internet for some teacher development seminar. After some looking, I discovered that The National Science Teachers Association is having a seminar this October in Portland, only 2 hours away. It looks like I am headed on my own little Science weekend getaway. Greg is planning on taking the kids for that time. The topic it "Bridging the gap between Elementary and Secondary Science Curriculum." I am looking forward to getting current in Science Endorsement, and getting another 25 points.
The last 25 points I have been working on for the last year and half. Volunteering at the kid's elementary school also counts towards re-certification. For every 3 hours of service, I get 1 point. Last week, I found out that I have 40 hours, around 13 points. If I keep helping out at this rate, I should have another 12 points by next year, maybe by Christmas, or before the end of the year, to make my goal of re-certification in 2013.
8 years ago
1 comment:
It's so neat how many pieces have fallen into place for your re-certification! That's really exciting.
Post a Comment