So the temple is a 2 hour drive away. Neither Greg nor I wanted to be left with the kids all day on a saturday while the other attended ward temple day. So, we decided to pack the entire family for the trip. We listened to Harry Potter 7 on the way. We made it just in time for Greg to attend the 12pm session. I had the kids for a German adventure.
We bought a GPS system to help us out while living in Germany. The roads are crazy here and it is difficult to get around. Everytime I use the thing...I always have this sinking feeling that it is taking my on a wild goose chase. It is almost as if I follow that thing blindly and don't rely on my own sense of direction. Most of the time we have sucess with that thing, but now and then I have to check to make sure we are not headed to France on accident or something. Well, yesterday our GPS failed me.
After typing in "nearest McDonalds" I found one only 4 km away. yippeee......we headed out. First, Brunhilde (we named our GPS after our landlady) told me to go right. Okay.......then left. Then a U turn. Then right into someone's yard.....and then finally left onto a one way street, the wrong direction. It was only after I attempted to turn into oncoming traffic that I decided something was wrong. After I had several honks and a few gestures I decided to turn off Brunhilde. Scarey......
We managed to get to another McDonalds and get to the front of the line, when I realized that I didn't have any Euros. The McDonald's didn't take visas......so back into the car to find a bank. Everything is harder here.....but we got some money and back to fast food.......which wasn't happening very "fast." After indulging in french fries and a diet coke, the kids had happy meals....we played outside in the play area......so much for German adventure.....oh well. The kids had fun, which made it easier for me.
We met up with Greg and decided to check out a castle in a nearby town called Bad Homburg. I guess it was a spa for royalty back in the day. There we a cool tower you could climb and get a view of the surrounding region. You had to go ask for the key to get to the top. "Make sure you lock the gate when you are done and bring back the key," the cashier said to me handing me the key. Strange.....I felt like I was using the restroom at a gas station. We climbed it and enjoyed the view all by ourselves. We got a good look and the dungeon, the "pechnasen" where they poured out the hot liquid on the bad guys below, and got our exercise climbing the stairs.
Okay, so we managed to see something historic. The only thing is I forgot to put our memory card back into the camera, so no pictures......We are planning on going back, because we saw them setting up the main market place for the Christmas market and it looks like it is going to be a good one.
8 years ago
7 comments:
i'm glad the day turned out well after all. sorry i haven't commented forever, but i'm slowly catching up on my blog reading!
i haven't tried a gps. i find the little voice a little creepy. :)
Can you really eat McD's there? It just isn't the same here...not even the french fries! Very sad since there is nothing like a fast food drive thru here only cooking on the street...no thanks!
We have a GPS and it once had me driving in circles around Boise looking for a Wal-Mart. It's been great, otherwise!
That stinks about going to McD's without Euros. Like you need any complications beyond dragging three kids around with you...
Ah such adventures. Yeah, I am a little leery of the GPS myself. :-) Sounds like a cool place
Oh, I love our GPS, but it does send me on goose chases, every once in a while. Most the time it's just because I get confused by the "turn in 300 yards" directions.
The other day, I didn't follow it (thought I knew better) and ended up in downtown Baltimore with two little kids, late at night!!
I can't believe you just stopped by at a castle on your way home!! Hmm... I definitely need to come visit. (:
Wow, sounds like the roads are tricky! I love that they just gave you the key to the tower! Sounds like a neat castle!
Hey Nic, Have you checked out Nat's blog...very cute...here it is if you haven't I'm sure she'd love to hear from you...natalie-justin.blogspot.com
Post a Comment