Thanksgiving is a big travel time here in the military community of Kaiserslautern. Everyone has a 4 day weekend and use it to see some of Europe. We decided to “lay low” this year and stay within Germany, since we are still recovering from the travel of the move.
One Thursday we celebrated Thanksgiving with our friends the Booths. Nikki prepared a lovely thanksgiving meal with all of the trimmings. I brought a pumpkin pie and a green salad. Although I am in my mid thirties, I have yet to prepare an entire thanksgiving or Christmas meal. I have never conquered a turkey……Maybe because no one in my family would eat it? We feel grateful for friends who include us in their family tradition. Nikki also invited her landlords. I got 2 hours of straight German practice. That of course made me happy……
We decided to head out to Wuerzburg for Friday. Greg found a hotel and researched some places to see. Of course, it was the start of the Christmas season, so we had the chance to experience our first Christmas market. We left early in the morning and arrived after a three hour drive in time for lunch. The Christmas market was the perfect place to begin. The kids of course wanted McDonalds. Greg and I got brats. We did some Christmas shopping and enjoyed the Christmas atmosphere.
On the way to checking into our hotel we drove past a bridge that is famous. We decided to get out to check it out. Greg took Sadie, while Micah and I stayed in the car with Taylor, who had fallen asleep. (Micah would rather listen to Harry Potter than see an old bridge….) We then swapped and I went by myself to take a look around. It was nice to see some things without the kids.
We started Saturday where we left off. We made it to the Bishop’s palace and the fortress above the city. When Taylor started to melt down we drove until he fell asleep and took turns seeing sites. Again, one of us listened to Harry Potter with Micah while the other took Sadie and saw some sights and got some pictures.
Rothenburg was the next stop on our little excursion. We head that it was a beautiful village and that it had maintained some of it’s medieval charm. Who know that it had a famous Christmas market. It seemed like all of Germany had the same idea of going when we did. It was crowded, cold and the kids were tired. We still managed to enjoy the architecture and see some of the beauty of the town. (The city center still has the original city wall) We skipped over the Christmas museum and passed up a chance to walk around the wall, but it was all in the name of happy children which usually results in happy parents.
One Thursday we celebrated Thanksgiving with our friends the Booths. Nikki prepared a lovely thanksgiving meal with all of the trimmings. I brought a pumpkin pie and a green salad. Although I am in my mid thirties, I have yet to prepare an entire thanksgiving or Christmas meal. I have never conquered a turkey……Maybe because no one in my family would eat it? We feel grateful for friends who include us in their family tradition. Nikki also invited her landlords. I got 2 hours of straight German practice. That of course made me happy……
We decided to head out to Wuerzburg for Friday. Greg found a hotel and researched some places to see. Of course, it was the start of the Christmas season, so we had the chance to experience our first Christmas market. We left early in the morning and arrived after a three hour drive in time for lunch. The Christmas market was the perfect place to begin. The kids of course wanted McDonalds. Greg and I got brats. We did some Christmas shopping and enjoyed the Christmas atmosphere.
On the way to checking into our hotel we drove past a bridge that is famous. We decided to get out to check it out. Greg took Sadie, while Micah and I stayed in the car with Taylor, who had fallen asleep. (Micah would rather listen to Harry Potter than see an old bridge….) We then swapped and I went by myself to take a look around. It was nice to see some things without the kids.
We started Saturday where we left off. We made it to the Bishop’s palace and the fortress above the city. When Taylor started to melt down we drove until he fell asleep and took turns seeing sites. Again, one of us listened to Harry Potter with Micah while the other took Sadie and saw some sights and got some pictures.
Rothenburg was the next stop on our little excursion. We head that it was a beautiful village and that it had maintained some of it’s medieval charm. Who know that it had a famous Christmas market. It seemed like all of Germany had the same idea of going when we did. It was crowded, cold and the kids were tired. We still managed to enjoy the architecture and see some of the beauty of the town. (The city center still has the original city wall) We skipped over the Christmas museum and passed up a chance to walk around the wall, but it was all in the name of happy children which usually results in happy parents.
7 comments:
Quite the sites to see. Alex says that Micah is lucky! It looks like he is having so much fun!
I love hearing about your travels!! Those frescos are amazing!! I went to the medieval torture museum in Rothenburg - very interesting, but so not a kid museum!:) Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving!!
oh, so fun to see your family, and to see the sights...once again i'm so jealous that you are living where i served...(sigh)
Hey Nicole,
Eric mentioned you had a blog over Thanksgiving :) It's fun seeing you have the same sort of adventures we had. Good times!
Hello! I have found your blog! =) It sounds like you are doing so well. I loved all the silly pictures from your holiday. Fun times.
Hey! We missed you on Thanksgiving! Sounds like it was great though. Love the pictures, keep them coming! (:
ah, travel with kids. isn't it fun? :) at least the scenery is beautiful while they're having meltdowns! the fortress looks awesome.
Post a Comment